When we had bought and moved to this apartment about 1,5 years ago i felt that our cat needed a scratchingpole and play-thing so he wouldnt get too fat or bored. All the storebought one are both pricey and ugly so i decided to make my own.
Almost all of it are from ikea except the screws, paint and metallbrackets.
What youll need:
Ikea: Antonius Shelf. Ekby Stödis shelf brackets, Floor protectors, Hessum doormat
Hardwarestore: Jute rope or other kind of thick scratchable rope, Pole, screws, u-shaped nails, paint,
Tools: saw, Hammer, screwdriver, paintbrush, Stapler or small nails for the doormat
1.Take the Antonius shelf and cut it in three or how many "floors" you want for your cat. I measured two shelfes after about half of the doormat and let the last piece become the bottom plate.
2. rasp the edges of the shelfes so its smoother. Attach the shelfes on the pole in the hights you think your cat would like, with small metallic L-brackets and screws. attach the bottom plate.
3. Paint the whole thing with colour of your choice.
4. Staple the cut up doormat to the top of the shelfes so that your kitty has something to grip on while getting up.
5. Use U-shaped nails to hammer down the juterope. Start at an appropriate height (the cat wont scratch his nails too far down), and wrap the rope around the pole going up. at some places you might need to secure with an extra nail. We used to packets of rope at 15m each. could use more though, for kitty to get all the way up easier.
6. put floor protectors underneath the bottom plate and raise the whole pole against the wall where you want it. Secure it to the wall by using the Ekby stödis brackets under the shelfes
7. show it to your cat and amaze over his/her climbingskills and overall joy.
|Bum-kitty looks fatter than he really is, Cam adds 5 pounds (Bum in swedish is his name)|
|1,5 yrs later and it looks like this. Tighten/switch out the ropes and we're good|